Monday, June 15, 2009

Lovely but lonely...


* sigh *



Who saw this coming? Sir Plant-alot (a.k.a Vick) has gone on a conference to spread his scholarly wisdom in Boston meaning that I am alone for a week. I know, a week! That's it! Just a few sleeps and he'll be back but still, I find myself pretty darn restless. First of all, I've cleaned the apartment twice already (!!!) and I've done the laundry (mind you, he only left yesterday). You can call me "domestic goddess extraordinaire" but my behaviour ain't foolin' anyone - I'm just lonely!

The fact that I'm lonely within 22.45 hours of him leaving (yes, I'm counting) is precisely what shocks me. Anyone who knows me well enough usually realize that although I love people, I cherish my me time. I enjoy being with myself. Being an "only-child" and progressing through life as a socially awkward/independant twenty something, I find myself constantly yearning for the quiet oasis of my room or the solitude that came with reading a dusty volume off my father's immense bookcase in the basement of my youth.

I've always been the type of girl that kills her own centipedes and pays her own bills. The type of person that can spend days on end with herself and still find enough inspiration in her thoughts to sustain her.

Lately, I feel like I'm always around people and while this is a good thing for my moods and for personal development (because you never learn very much if you're the only one teaching you), I feel a bit lost as to what to do when I'm by myself again.

I think I will use this time to listen to myself whisper things I should have heard long ago but didn't have the time to hear. I hope to enjoy my time catching up on the small simple things that makes me happy.

(Photo credit elise)

2 comments:

  1. "I think I will use this time to listen to myself whisper things I should have heard long ago but didn't have the time to hear."

    Beautiful and thought-provoking.

    I hope the time passes as quickly and as slowly as you want it to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my boyfriend went away for a week in March I missed him TERRIBLY at first, but then I got used to being alone and actually REALLY enjoyed having a week to myself :-)

    I'm sure the time will fly by!

    ReplyDelete

leave me a little love note! I really look forward to hearing from you