Friday, August 3, 2007

My Refusal to be Prosaic

When writing papers the night before they are due, it is definitely tempting to abandon style and fluidity and just provide content. However, I seem to need that addition of "myself" in everything I write regardless of the amount of hours it takes me just to do that. Anyone can write something quickly and provide the content needed for debate/analysis but I am of the opinion that this is the easy way out. The catch: this choice for quantity over quality reflects not only the end result that is your paper, but it also reflects your ability to think introspectively and to have the courage and pride that it takes to put yourself "out there" in every thing you say and do.

I know, it sounds a bit abstract but in all honesty I think it's applicable.

Whether it be paper writing or conversation, I notice that many people just settle for getting the job done and disregard the real purpose of writing papers or having conversations - self knowledge. If you don't give it your all, how do you expect to get anything real out of the experience?

This is the problem that many students are encountering these days - they are missing the point of education. As a university student, I find myself lucky to have the opportunity to be a part of a community wherein discussion can be rich and worldly knowledge is high.

Why not take full advantage of the situation?

Put yourself out there. It may "waste your time" but in the end, trust me, you'll be gaining a lot more...

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me a little love note! I really look forward to hearing from you