Friday, May 22, 2009

Making the most of the little time we have

No, don't worry, it's not going to be one of THOSE posts; the ones that agonize over life and complain that its "too short".

Every time I work at a full time job, I always realize the same thing - how quickly time flies. We also end up being overwhelmed by all that we want to accomplish after work. After all, it seems to be the only time of day that we have to ourselves; a very precious few hours commandeered by bus schedules and interrupted by laundry duties, dinner preparation and that nagging feeling that you should be doing something for yourself. It seems like time just doesn't want to cooperate, and as it gets increasingly so, you end up feeling increasingly pressured until...well...you collapse in bed, exhausted.

Delving further into this issue, I found that there is a way to beat the system.

Seriously. I'm not joking, so stop pinching yourself.

You have to brainwash yourself into enjoying everything you do after work. Find something wonderful about washing those clothes - perhaps how lovely everything smells or now nicely the sun is shining through your windows as you fold them.

Okay, I know that sounded corny but it works for me. I try to constantly keep myself in a very "inspired" state - finding beauty in everything that I see. I really think that you have to make this effort or else, everything has the potential to look grim and ugly.

The take home lesson here would be to remind yourself that trying to live life enraptured is therapeutic enough and can be considered as something "for yourself". Make life your muse. You might find yourself wandering around aimlessly and grinning like an idiot when you flower petals fall to the ground but I think that the humiliation is well worth it.

(Photo Credit)

2 comments:

leave me a little love note! I really look forward to hearing from you