Sunday, July 5, 2009

Can't wait...


Every book has a soul,
The soul of the person who wrote it
and those who have read it, and lived and dreamed with it.
Every time a book changes hands, every time someone runs their eyes down its pages, its spirit grows and strengthens.
- Carlos Ruiz Zafrón

The trouble with waiting for a foreign written novel to come out is that you have to wait for someone to translate it. It was nearly close to torture for me just to know that people in Europe were able to read this book a year and some prior to it even coming out in North America! With this in mind, I even contemplated learning more Spanish so that I could read his texts in their original language...Crazy, I know.

Although I'm dying to dive into this book, I have a few reservations. His previous book, Shadow of the Wind was so remarkable that I find myself a bit cautious in approaching this book in the same way, and with the same expectations. It was the type of book that I found myself buying multiple copies of in the last five years just because I kept on giving my copy to friends (if you haven't read it, read it now!!) Needless to say, the expectations were high for this book. It's almost like watching the first part of a trilogy, loving it, and then being scared to watch the second because you doubt that it could be exceed the impression the first one has left on you. Zafrón's writing gives words to my dreams; that being said, I'm so immensely worried that he will be changed with this new book.

Also, since I am still reading Shantaram, I've decidedly promised to not pick up the Zafrón until I'm done it. I wouldn't want to become enamored with Angel's and forget about all that Shantaram has brought to the table. Even though Shantaram is wonderful, it is taking me a while to get through due to all the things I find myself doing after work. It's hard to get through anything when you only get the chance to read for about half an hour a day.

Has anyone awaited the release of a book recently? Are you ready to plunge in or are you just as reserved as I am?

p.s I will begin making my book reviews available on this blog. Hopefully they'll inspire you to put one of my reads on your list. I always welcome conversation on literature; very little makes me happier =)

1 comment:

  1. I'm a book addict and I would love to read your reviews. Also, so much appreciation for Zafron... I am definitely buying it and reading next. I'm presently reading The Reluctant Fundamentalist. It's captivating :)

    ReplyDelete

leave me a little love note! I really look forward to hearing from you