Thursday, April 24, 2008

Ubiquitous

Something funny happened to me yesterday. I guess the right thing to do would be to provide a bit of background...

About a month and a half ago; roughly at the beginning of March, I began feeling run-down and tired. It felt like at any time, I would get some sort of flu and be knocked off my feet for a few days. I woke up every morning feeling as if I would be terribly sick that day but I just plowed on through and nothing ever happened. By the end of the evening, I was back to feeling tired and lethargic...

Then, around the second to last week in march, I got really sick. Fever. Headache. Body soreness. The whole works. I figured it was all over when I was out and about a few days later. That definitely wasn't the case.

Ever since then, for the entirety of the month, I've been feeling sick. My tonsils were swollen to varying degrees every day and my head would hurt for hours at a time. I went back to see a doctor to get some blood work and throat swabs done, all of which surprisingly came back negative for everything that it could have been - mononucleoses, strep throat. After getting the news, I went home certain that something wasn't right but determined to not let it bother me.

While studying for my exams, I started feeling worse and worse which made it increasingly difficult to maintain concentration. I made another and final appointment to see what they could do for me. I expected another blood test but what I got instead was a simple answer, stress.

Could I honestly be this stressed out? Stressed to the point where my immune system is on the flippin' red alert? I know for a fact that I've been a lot more stressed out before. Apparently my body thinks thats its been ubiquitous as of late...I disagree. Although I have to say, I did feel kind of pathetic when the doctor started mocking me for not having a life. A doctor! She gave me a note to defer my exams if I wanted and told me to go get a life. Harsh but apparently needed.

I'm not buying it. Then again, I might be in denial.

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me a little love note! I really look forward to hearing from you